Inside Sony Music
- Conference Coverage: Sony Music Group Talks DE&I Changes and Accepts Leadership Awards at Music Biz 2022
- May 20, 2022
Tiffany R. Warren, second from left, speaking on the DEI Keynote: “A Roadmap for Change.“
Last week, Sony Music Group engaged in industry-defining conversations at the 2022 Music Biz Conference in Nashville, TN.
Speakers touched on topics that included the ever-changing fan experience, financial management, the globalization of music and industry advancements in diversity, equity and inclusion (DE&I).
Speaking on the different DE&I initiatives in the music industry today, Tiffany R. Warren, Executive Vice President and Chief Diversity & Inclusion Officer of Sony Music Group, acknowledged the positive work that has been done but noted that it is only the tip of the iceberg.
During the DEI Keynote: A Roadmap for Change panel, Warren noted: “I know that we are making a lot of changes, but we have so much further to go. At Sony Music Group, our artists are world renowned, but what is even more special is the talent behind the artist—because there are 5 jobs at the mic and 500 behind. So really, it’s about making sure that the talent within the company understands where we’re going from a DE&I perspective, but also wants to go there with us.”
Concluding the four-day conference was the Awards Dinner, during which Julie Swidler, Executive Vice President of Business Affairs & General Counsel at Sony Music Entertainment, received the Presidential Award for Outstanding Executive Achievement, the highest honor presented by the Association. Accepting this achievement, she shared some of the key lessons she learned throughout her career.
“As I reflect on my career, I realize that this industry benefits when we lead with support—support for our artists, for one another, and for our shared ideals,” Swidler said. “Through all the ups and downs of my career, I’ve seen that we’re at our best when we remember who we need to support in order to keep moving music forward. The key is to remember why we got into this business in the first place. For all our different focuses, we’re all motivated by a passion for music.”
Shoutout to all the teammates who represented Sony Music Group at the 2022 Music Biz Conference:
- Lauren Kasper, Vice President, Nashville, The Orchard
- Jess Keifer, Director of Digital Strategy, Sony Music Nashville
- Joanna Noyes, Vice President of Marketing, The Orchard
- Jon Platt, Chairman & CEO, Sony Music Publishing
- Naledi Nyahuma Seck, Vice President of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion, The Orchard
- Julie Swidler, Executive Vice President and Business Affairs & General Counsel, Sony Music Entertainment
- Tiffany R. Warren, Executive Vice President and Chief Diversity & Inclusion Officer, Sony Music Group