RED HOT + BACH AVAILABLE JUNE 17, 2014 FROM SONY MUSIC MASTERWORKS
Apr 24, 2014
NEW YORK, April 24, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Red Hot + Bach charts a new pathway into the musical universe of Johann Sebastian Bach.
Through the collaboration of performers, producers, DJs and artists from around the world and across the spectrum of contemporary music, different facets of Bach's centuries-old masterpieces are transformed with fresh energy and modern virtuosity that know no limits. Red Hot + Bach is available everywhere June 17, 2014, from Sony Music Masterworks.
The creators of Red Hot + Bach embrace Bach as a living artistic force, as real and as vital today as he was when he lived (1685-1750). They range across nineteen freely imagined tracks from mandolin virtuoso Chris Thile (Nickel Creek, The Punch Brothers), singer/songwriters Gabriel Kahane and Shara Worden (My Brightest Diamond), jazz legend Ron Carter, DJ/producer King Britt and the Icelandic band amiina, to imaginative classical artists such as the Kronos Quartet, composer Max Richter, violinist Daniel Hope and organ virtuoso Cameron Carpenter.
Red Hot, a not-for-profit production company, has been shaking up great music in just this way for twenty-five years, in projects that celebrated the music of geniuses as diverse as Anthony Carlos Jobim (Red Hot + Rio), Cole Porter (Red Hot + Blue), a meeting of jazz and hip-hop artists (Red Hot + Cool), Duke Ellington (Red Hot + Indigo), and Fela Kuti (Red Hot + Riot). The work of Red Hot continues to serve a social purpose – raising awareness and money in the ongoing fight to stop AIDS. For more information please visit www.redhot.org.
Red Hot + Bach is being released simultaneously with a special expanded digital edition featuring ten additional tracks, and an iPad app designed to open your eyes and ears, and lead you to discover new ways to interact with the timeless energy and beauty of Bach's music.
Sony Music Masterworks comprises Masterworks, Sony Classical, OKeh, Portrait, Masterworks Broadway and Flying Buddha imprints. For email updates and information please visit www.SonyMasterworks.com.
- "Minuet" (Tempo di Minuetto from Keyboard Partita No. 5, BWV 829) – Rob Moose and Chris Thile
- "Minim" (Prelude No. 2 in C Minor from The Well-Tempered Clavier, BWV 847) – Dustin O'Halloran
- "Jardim do Amor" (Prelude in C Minor, BWV 999) – Mia Doi Todd
- "Time Drinks Three Shots" (Prelude No. 6 in D Minor, BWV 851) – Shara Worden
- "Number Man" (Sarabande from Cello Suite No. 5 in C Minor, BWV 1011) – Paul de Jong
- "The Watchmaker" (Prelude from Cello Suite No. 3 in C Major, BWV 1009) – Stuart Bogie and Grey McMurry
- "Very Own" (Adagio from Keyboard Concerto in D Minor, BWV 974) – Julianna Barwick
- "Minim" [version] (Prelude No. 2 in C Minor from The Well-Tempered Clavier, BWV 847) – Victor Axelrod and Dustin O'Halloran
- "Passacaglia" (Passacaglia from Passacaglia and Fugue in C Minor, BWV 582) – amiina
- "Contrupunctus I" (Contrupunctus I from The Art of the Fugue, BWV 1080) – Max Richter
- "Arioso" (Rearranged elements from Keyboard Preludes, BWV 921 and Sonata for Violin and Keyboard No. 5, BWV 1018) – Miguel Atwood-Ferguson
- "Air" (Air from Orchestral Suite No. 3 in D Major, BWV 1068) – Daniel Hope
- "Cello Suite No. 1" (Prelude from Cello Suite No. 1 in G Major, BWV 1007) – Ron Carter and Gary Bartz
- "Ave Maria" (Bach/Gounod setting of "Ave Maria") – King Britt
- "Ludepre" (Prelude No. 2 in C Minor from The Well-Tempered Clavier, BWV 847) – Franceso Tristano and Carl Craig
- "Contrapunctus II" (Contrupunctus II from The Art of the Fugue, BWV 1080) – Jeff Mills and Kronos Quartet
- "Contrupunctus II" (Contrupunctus II from The Art of the Fugue, BWV 1080) – Kronos Quartet
- "Concerto No. 5" (Largo from Keyboard Concerto No. 5 in F Minor, BWV 1056) – Om'Mas Keith
- "Dear Goldberg" (Goldberg Variations) – Gabriel Kahane
SOURCE Sony Music Masterworks